Monday, April 5, 2010

p.s.

I forgot to include one of my favorite "6 kids" stories. It's actually the one that got me started thinking about it.

I was at the Wonder Thrift store buying the cheapest bread I could find. I passed up the donuts and twinkies and everything else, bought my two loaves of bread and had a short conversation with the cashier. At the mention of 6 kids she said, "Your husband must have a really good job."

I didn't know how to respond. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. He certainly has a better job than she does, but that wasn't really the point. According to all of the statistics I've ever seen, the more educated you are and the more money you make, the less likely you are to have a big family. And I certainly wasn't shopping at the fancy bread store.
(I was also a little offended at the sexist aspect of the remark, but since my husband IS the one with the money job and I am the one with the kids job, I'll refrain from carrying on about it.)

No comments: